Library Research Techniques
Tips on choosing search terms for the best search results:
Using search commands to focus your search to exactly what you want:
- Help Searching: Expanding Your Search Using the OR Command Podcast
- Help Searching: Narrowing Your Search Using the AND Command Podcast
- Help Searching: Combining AND OR Commands Podcast
- Searching for Phrases audio file
Use LibGuides @ WSU Libraries to find other search techniques.
Environmental Science and Regional Planning (Social Science)
The Holland and Terrell Libraries contain resources for students and faculty interested in the social science aspects of Environmental Science and Regional Planning. If you have any social science-oriented questions not answered on this page or the WSU Libraries website, please contact Betty Galbraith at the Owen Science Library or review the Earth and Environmental Sciences webpage. For questions about WSU's Program in Environmental Science and Regional Planning, please see the Program's website.
Find a Book or Compilation:
Find an Article or Conference Presentation:
Find an Open Access Scholarly Journal Article:
- For known items, look for the journal title in our Library Catalog to see if we own the issue that you need.
- If you need to find articles on a subject, but don't know where to begin, there are a large number of places to search. WSU pays for some resources to help:
- Go to the WSU Libraries' databases of Environmental Science journal articles
- To search within any one of these databases, click on the name and it'll take you to that database.
- When you find an article, watch for the button:
Click on this button and the computer will open a new window where you can see if we have an article electronically, check the catalog for it, or borrow it from another library.
Find a Dissertation:
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Open Access Journals Search Engine (OAJSE)
- BioOne: A collection of high impact journals produced by scholarly societies.
Find a Protocol:
- Helpful information on finding standards.
- ASTM Standards and Engineering Digital Library (SEDL)
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- NIST Data Gateway
- NIST Standards
- Finding protocols in the library
- Handbooks - Protocol (Qiagen)
- Protocol Online
- National Guideline Clearinghouse
- Springer Protocol
Find a Patent:
Find a Technical Report:
- Helpful information on patent searching.
- Search for a U.S. Patent.
- Google Patents if you need full text patent searching before 1975.
- Search for a European patent
- Finding Patents with the World Intellectual Property Office (WIPO)
Find an Institutional Repository:
- Think U.S. Government documents:
- NTIS: the National Technical Information Service
- SciTech Connect
- Science Accelerator: Searches science, including R&D results, project descriptions, and more, via resources made available by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI), U.S. Department of Energy.
- USA.gov: U.S. government's official web portal
- Or even science.gov: Technical reports, journal citations, databases, Federal web sites from 14 scientific and technical information organizations
- Follow these links to find information compiled by Marilyn Von Seggern on gathering statistical data:
Back to the Top
- World Wide Science Portal
- Google scholar - advanced search
- NTIS/GPO FDLP Depository Access to Reports, Technical & Scientific (DARTS)
- Monthly Catalog
- BISON USGS
Science Librarian and Instruction Coordinator
Office: Owen Library 119
Phone: (509) 335-7930
Fax: (509) 335-2534
Owen Library 119
Washington State University
Pullman WA 99164-3200.
Owen Library 135
Library Liaison to:
Civil & Environmental Engr Mechanical & Materials Engr Electrical Engr & Computer Sci Mathematics & Statistics