Composition and Rhetoric
Composition and Rhetoric
The Holland and Terrell Libraries contain many resources for students and faculty interested in Composition and Rhetoric. If you have any questions not answered on the WSU Libraries website or would like to request a book or journal on any subject related to Composition and Rhetoric, please contact Lou Vyhnanek. For questions about the Composition program, please see Department of English.
Search It The library catalog includes holdings for all the WSU Library sites, in Pullman and across the state. Please note: Electronic journals and other 'virtual' publications are included in the catalog. Search It also provides access to SUMMIT, a system that allows users to borrow books owned colleges and universities in Washington State and Oregon.
Indexes, Abstracts and Other Databases
- Humanities Index: Indexes humanities and arts journals and resources. Especially apt for topics that are interdisciplinary.
- MLA Bibliography: Includes citations for over 4000 literature, languages, linguistics and folklore journal. Online from 1963- to the present. In print (Hol Ref HV7006.M64) 1921-1999.
- Oxford English Dictionary: Provides etymologies and examples of usage for English words. Especially useful for determining what possible meanings an author may have intended in a given work written at a given time. The online OED is updated on a quarterly basis.
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO): Includes many full text articles and reviews for newspapers, magazines, and academic journals.
- ComAbstracts: Contains abstracts of articles from over 40 professional journals in the communications field.
- Communication Abstracts: Contains abstracts of articles from 100+ professional journals in all areas of communication studies (mass, interpersonal and new communication technologies).
Reference BooksThe Holland and Terrell Libraries' reference section is on the 1st floor behind the reference desk.
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers Hol Ref LB2369 .G53 1995
- Encyclopedia of Rhetoric Hol Ref PN172 .E52 2001
- Encyclopedia of Rhetoric and Composition : Communication from Ancient Times to the Information Age Hol Ref PN172 .E53 1996
- Handbook of Technical Writing Hol Ref T11 .B78 2000
- Science and Technical Writing: a Manual of Style Hol Ref T11 .S378 2001 and Owen Ref T11 .S378 2001
WSU Lists its electronic journal holdings in two locations. First, electronic journals can be found by searching by title in Search It. References to electronic journals in Search It have hypertext links to the electronic journal themselves or the database that contains that electronic journal. The second place to look to check to see if the library has a subscription to an electronic journal is on the WSU Electronic Journals list. If you cannot find a journal that you have reason to believe should be available at WSU, or you would like to have electronic access to, please contact Lou Vyhnanek.
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO): Includes searchable full text articles for newspapers, magazines, and some academic journals.
- JSTOR: Full text of back issues of over 100 scholarly journals.
- Project Muse: Includes searchable full-text articles from over 90 literary criticism and cultural studies journals.
- Science Direct: Full text Elsevier science and social science journals (including technical communications and writing).
- Modern Language Association of America: The MLA Site includes information about the Association, MLA style guidelines, publications, and activities.
- Voice of the Shuttle: Technology of Writing Main Page : The Voice of the Shuttle is a comprehensive guide to web resources in the humanities.
- The Society for Technical Communication (STC): The STC is a national organization that promotes technical writing and other forms of technical communication. There are local chapters in most states and in many major cities.
Government Information and History Librarian